Saturday, September 12

Not Better Off

Think I’m scared to dream
Think I’m scared to get my hopes up again
Wanna have a scheme
Want it written out in paper and pen

Like it worked so well before

Like that wasn’t just a rug beneath my feet

Did it matter that he swore

Always and forever he’d be wanting me



There she is 

Sitting in an open field

Isn’t this

How she always feels

Little redhead wishing on a star

Wondering why things are the way they are



Curious why people talk

But never mean the words

Furious with ticking clocks

But never with the birds

Picture this, I’m in the flock

I finally got my wings

And maybe it’s an aftershock

Of harsh realities

But building blocks weren’t working

And the future just kept smirking

Like the cloud that’s always hung above my head

I promise that I’m trying

This ain’t me denying

I’m just out here flying

Proving I’m not better off dead



Think I’m scared to say

Don’t know what it is I’m doing

Like maybe that betrays

Some hapless destiny that’s brewing

Like I’ve never needed help

Like that wasn’t a farce that kept me small

Ain’t that how I’m avoiding hell

Let some man do the thinking, be my all



There I am

Kicking up a Sunday dress

What a scam

Such an unbegotten mess

Just some redhead yelling at the stars

Wondering why things are the way they are



Curious why people talk

But never mean the words

Furious with ticking clocks

But never with the birds

Picture this, I’m in the flock

I finally got my wings

And maybe it’s an aftershock

Of harsh realities

But building blocks weren’t working

And the future just kept smirking

Like the cloud that’s always hung above my head

I promise that I’m trying

This ain’t me denying

I’m just out here flying

Proving I’m not better off dead

No comments: