THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, June 1

Final Confessions of a Graduate Assistant

Last time we spoke I was in Arlington, TX. I didn't find wifi anywhere after that on tour so I'll give you the day by day now that it's over.

Day 9 we drove from Arlington, TX to Oxford, MS. We just barely got there on time. On the road we got sort of bored again so I wrote another song. This time it was about Mary Ann -- I'l post the lyrics in another note later today

First Baptist Church of Oxford (our hosts for the evening) rented out the community pool and their youth group joined us for a pool party. As tradition dictates Mary Ann Friday and I roomed together along with Melissa Giddens and Katie Duffey. Y'all- we stayed with the sweetest family. The mother is the definition of a Southern Belle, the father the definition of a Southern Gentleman and our entire visit was the definition of Southern Hospitality. They had a sweet little 9 year old who wrote a song with me. Their oldest son was my age and we enjoyed being able to sit on the back porch just hanging out with him playing the guitar and eating icecream. We didn't see their other daughter much because she had to work that night.

I didn't sleep on Saturday night because I was making the slideshow and weeding through everyone's pictures and video clips. Thankfully I was able to finsih it about half an hour before our final performance last night and we got to show it in the Homecoming concert. The ride to Birmingham was bittersweet. Everyone wanted to be home but we were sad about the trip ending.

When we got back to Briarwood we were joined by the other kids who couldn't come on tour and did a sound check and ate dinner. Then the concert (which went very very well) ended with all the alumni joining us for "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross".

We then headed to the Smith's house for our annual pool party. The kids had a blast. Great way to end a great tour.

I love this choir and I love these kids. Last year it made me cry like a baby during the concert - this year is different. I'll be with these kids as long as Mr. Campbell lets me. I want to do this for the rest of my life. Not tour (though that would be fun) but the choirs. If and when it's first possible I want to go to school for this. I would love to go to Samford for Music Ed. God will work it out if it's what's supposed to happen. I feel like this is my calling, like all the weird little things I can do and all the things I love to do are designed to fit this task of teaching kids to sing praises to God and serve while doing it. This is it.

I hope those of you following along have enjoyed the ride, I know I have. I'm going to go sleep now.

For those of you in highschool in the Birmingham area -- when September rolls around come see what Choir's all about at Camp Lee. At the very least you'll have a fun weekend with your friends (or those people who will be your friends), but you might get lucky and find the family that I found.

0 comments: