THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, March 30

From Burritos to The Original Chicken Sandwich & All the 2nd Miles Inbetween

Shortly after I turned 16 I started my first job, in the food industry that is, at Moe's Southwest Grill. Even though I have always been quite the Pollyanna Optimist, finding the good in almost everything, I really expected to dislike most of my experience there. You hear horror stories from your parents, siblings and friends about how awful customers are and how you'll never eat another meal in a restaurant - you expect to walk out of your first day with tears streaming down your face shaking at the thought of it all.

Much to my surprise though, I liked it. Scratch that -- I loved it. I loved the fast pace, the people, the atmosphere - -I even sort of liked the smell of burritos when I drove (or was driven I guess) home. It was fun and even though a few customers were rude and it was really hard work, I really enjoyed it. My sister, Miriam, came to work there as well and I'll never forget hearing her say to Mickey (one of the owners), when he asked why we didn't complain and why we worked so hard, that she thought "If something's worth doing, it's worth doing well". I agreed with her wholeheartedly and before too long I was promoted to a shift manager position, counting money and leading the crew just shy of 40 hours a week. I'm sure that moment wasn't where my belief in a godly work ethic first began -- but it's the point I remember.

Since then I've worked in several other branches of the food service industry in various positions including but not limited to waiting tables, sweeping peanuts off the floor, lifting 12 hams per customer to a counter for inspection, flipping burgers, counting down cashier shifts, making late night bank drops, making cupcakes and other fun desserts, and God knows what else. I've been everything from a nobody to an Assistant Manager in casual dining, fast food, delicatessen, bakery, and now -- ChickFilA (Inverness FSU, on Hwy 280), which I consider a whole different animal altogether.

Sitting here and remembering the complaints I've heard and the horror stories I had quivered at almost 4 years ago, it's kind of nuts that I still love this kind of job. Don't get me wrong, the stories are all true. Jaded waiters really do spit in your food if you're too difficult for them to handle that day, some burger flippers really go straight from the bathroom to the grill with no handwash stop, and when you serve particularly rude customers one by one, over and over -- some days you really do want to snap and go all Leon: The Professional on them. But I love this kind of job, particularly at ChickFilA, and I'll tell you why.

Everyone gets hungry. Everyone needs food to survive. Most people eat around 3 times every day. We live in America, which means everyone wants someone else to cook their food and serve it quicker than they could do it at home and most of those people appreciate good service - the friendlier the better. Which means that everyday, three times a day, someone nearby is looking for good food, fast, and friendly (2nd Mile, if you will) service.

Each time a guest walks in the door I'm given the opportunity to give them something they want, and maybe even more than that- maybe something they really need. Maybe they're flustered and hungry and frenzied from their day and all they want is something to fill their stomach but they don't know what, and I can get them some food, but I can give them something better too. Maybe they've got three kids in tow and they're exhausted. Maybe they're bored, maybe they're hyper, maybe they're upset. I can help them find the perfect menu items and get it to them fast, I can distract their kids while they gather their thoughts and help them get 3 trays of kids meals and drinks to the table. I can offer entertainment, conversation, empathy, and a smile -- all while standing behind great food and another product I can be proud of -- service. I get to make someone's day about a hundred times a day, and that feels great.

One thing I've learned at ChickFilA is that they're not what they may seem at first glance. We're not just another fast food restaurant. Sure we sell chicken and we serve it quickly, but really we're in the people business. It's all about your experience with us. Were we kind, were we friendly, were we helpful, were we informative, were we accurate? We've even adjusted our vocabulary. We not taking your order, we're serving you. We're not getting you a refill, we're refreshing your beverage. You're not eating here, you're dining with us. It's marvelous to see what little phrases and just the slightest attitude adjustment can do to the atmosphere.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well and at ChickFilA, we do it very well.

While ChickFilA is a fantastic place to work, no matter where I've worked I've used that phrase to keep me sharp, but I add a little something to it for those days you just aren't feeling it and the days you're not sure it's worth doing. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well, and everything (worth doing or not) should be done as unto the Lord. So I'm including the verses below that I've kept in mind over the years. I hope they can help you grasp more firmly the joy and benefits of a godly work ethic.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.
~Ecclesiastes 9:10

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:58

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.
Philippians 2:14-16

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17

0 comments: