Thursday, September 17

The Women

The women are whispering
The women are speaking 
The women are crying out

The women are begging

The women are screaming

Penelope had a lovely idea and I wish there were more men who listened


The women should burn things


All of this waiting

All of these whispered words

All of this “he promised”


Must we always sit and weave the burial garments for the love that can not be placed under a shroud

It will burn in our chest whether we dig the hole or not

It will burn in our children even if we set the boats ablaze with us and the dead on board


When we are long dead and our grandchildren’s grandchildren breathe in the hot breeze that once blew through our hair it will wake, yet again


I weave the shroud and embroider the shadow of this love drenched rage and I hope the day comes soon where my sons lock the doors and burn those leaning heavy on the laws of gods that mirror the worst in every father


You could have come home any time, if only you’d learn the lesson the women were force fed from birth


Put down your sword and feed the beggar

Teach your sons to write songs

Let your daughters choose which ones deserve singing


But sure, go be a hero shaped fool

Maybe in exile I can teach you to protect love with more of it

No comments: