THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, December 4

The Other Side of the Gate (I Am Redhead, Hear Me Roar)

I needed to feel like I had accomplished something today. I’m glad it wasn’t easy to roll and turn, lift, pivot, and shimmy that desk into the apartment on the second floor. I really, really am. I’m glad because it made me feel like I was worth something to the world. Like, hey -- she may not be in a $2600 fur-lined leather jacket(long story, and for once I probably won‘t explain it on here), and she certainly doesn’t live in a professionally decorated, big, stone house protected by a gate, and a guard, and labyrinth of streets, but the chick doesn’t back down from a challenge. I needed that.

Working in those homes today, I just couldn’t understand how people can have so much money and use it on such luxuries when down the street there are people who need so much. People they could be helping. Like for real helping - not just once a year “let’s have a fundraising party” helping. Don’t get me wrong, I think those fundraising events are great and it’s nice to see that people care. I just think there’s so much more… I’m sure if I were on the other side of the gate I might understand this better. Part of me hopes I never will.

I told Kaylor that if I ever start morphing into one of those people… those people who care more about things than people, those people with houses full of things that I’m afraid to touch for fear I might break them, those people who buy furs for charity… I told her that if I ever become one of them, please, slap me with a fish and remind me where I came from and what I’m all about. I never want to understand that mindset. I like this side of the gate.



I don’t think I’ve ever been so thankful that I’m unemployed. It’s weird… but nice.

1 comments:

Brock said...

I actually felt the same way until I realized (by meeting someone) that some people make so much money that they can give 75% of their income away and still splurge on the finer things in life, which is what this gentleman does.

I realize not all wealthy people are like that, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt; which is why I'm not a basher of Bill Gates - because I think I read that he's the biggest giver of anyone in this country.

Not that I'm on a different side of the gate than you, but just thought I'd offer a way of seeing the other side.